Search This Blog

Saturday 20 June 2015

Orange You Looking Good?



I thought I was living a fulfilling makeup life until I stepped into the warm, glowing light and saw the truth: orange is amazing. 



I stayed away from orange makeup for years, thinking it just wasn't my colour. I thought my skin was too pale and too blue-toned to rock a bright orange lip, a coral-y eyeshadow or a peachy blush. On a whim, I tried my Lady Danger lipstick on earlier this week, and I love it! I can't believe I wrote off a whole range of gorgeous orange-y shades for so long.

I feel this should be a public service announcement: life is too short not to wear ALL THE COLOURS! If you look at a particular colour and think 'I couldn't possibly wear that' - you're truly missing out by not giving it a try. 

To honour my new love of orange (and in a way, to make up for lost time) I've created a 70's inspired look featuring two MAC lipstick shades: Lady Danger (a matte orange-red) and Neon Orange (a creamy bright orange). 

The Inspiration

Mid 70's summer meets French Rivera, and this Vogue cover:

Jerry Hall, photographed by Norman Parkinson for Vogue, May 1975

The idea




I want a modern interpretation so I've enhanced the eyes with matte brown shades, kept brows soft and slightly bushy, and chosen a really rich, vibrant lip. I used Lady Danger over the whole lip and then added Neon Orange in the centre to give a brighter, more three-dimensional look. I want to have my hair damp and swept back to give the look a 'just gone for a swim' feel. 
(This was my first ever face chart... I'm pretty impressed with it, if I say so myself!)

The Finished Look


Please excuse my sparse brows and crepey-looking skin in these photos!





I really love these shades together. I think the soft brown shades really help focus attention on the orange lip. I'll be wearing orange much more often - with dry hair, tinted moisturiser and winged black liner next time!



Products and tools

Skin:
Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in Porcelain 
Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla 
Topshop Glow Pot in Polished
Real Techniques Buffing Brush 
Bobbi Brown Sheer Finish Pressed Powder in Pale Yellow 
Ecotools Tapered Blush Brush

Eyes:
Urban Decay eyeshadow in Naked, from the Naked palette (lid) 
Urban Decay eyeshadow in Buck, from the Naked palette (crease) 
Real Techniques Shadow Blender Brush
Maybelline Colossal Volum' black mascara

Cheeks:
L'Oreal Glam Bronze Bronzer in Blonde Sun
Sleek blusher in Chantilly, from the Lace palette
Real Techniques Contour Brush

Brows:
Collection Colour Lash mascara in Clear

Lips:
MAC lipstick in Lady Danger 
MAC lipstick in Neon Orange


Comments welcome!

Thanks for reading! x

No comments:

Post a Comment