Search This Blog

Monday 14 September 2015

My most loved products of summer 2015


I am so glad it's autumn. I love the colours, the weather, being finally able to wear scarves and jumpers and tights and boots again. I love the new makeup collections with their dark plums and browns. 
But before I fully embrace autumn I want to acknowledge the products that have seen me through summer.



This isn't a exhaustive list of everything I've used over the summer, but a list of a few bits and pieces that I've found particularly useful and/or impressive over the last few months.



The skincare

Avène Very High Protection Cream (£13.50)

It's lived in my bag since I bought it and it's proved irreplaceable. I never thought I'd find a high factor sunscreen that hydrated my skin without making it feel greasy, but here it is. No stickiness, white cast, shininess or excessive rubbing in - just a really, really good suncream.

Vichy Aqualia Thermal Serum (£22.50)

I went without it for a week and my skin felt noticeably tighter and itchier. I've realised that my skin gets dehydrated really easily and that's usually the cause of any periodic skin irritation. Hylauronic acid sorts it right out and is my new favourite ingredient - so naturally this serum which contains it has become an indispensable part of my skincare regime.

Oilatum Natural Repair Face Cream SPF 50+ (£7.69)

It's a challenge for me to find a day cream that suits my skin's sensitivities, packs a punch on the moisturising front, but doesn't feel heavy. That heaviness in summer feels awful and makes me feel like I'm melting! This is lovely and light and very moisturising all at once. Oilatum is formulated for eczema-prone skin and this helps to repair the skin's protective barrier. As good as many twice the price. It's an amazing post-leg shaving moisturiser too, calming the usual itchiness I get. My mum's converted to it too!

The makeup

Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturiser (£29)

I just look ten times better with this on. I've worn it all summer and it gives a lovely radiance to my skin, making it look brighter and more even. The shade Finland is a perfect summer shade for me. I'd say it's medium coverage - it takes the place of foundation, but I need a bit of concealer and powder on top. 

Rimmel Professional Brow Pencil in Black-Brown (£2.99)

I didn't expect to like this because budget brow products can be a little bit orange! But it's an absolute gem and it stays on perfectly all day even in the heat.

Nars Sheer Lipstick in Mayflower (£20)

I've used it so much it's down to a little stump! The perfect peachy pink that makes my skin look brighter and my lips look fuller.    

The hair removal product

Venus Quench refillable razor blades (£11.49 for 4)

With the warmer weather comes the inevitable realisation that I will, at some point, need to attend to the forest of leg hair I typically cultivate between October and May, aka The Great Deforestation, and continue until the end of summer. I genuinely hate shaving my legs because they feel so itchy afterwards, no matter how much moisturiser I slather on. These have two bars at either end of the blades, which, when combined with a little water, create a gel that helps to protect and moisturise skin. It really helps and my legs have felt so much better since I switched to these. They work with any Venus razor, too.

The fragrance

Escentric Molecules, Escentric 2 (£27 for 30ml)

This has been my everyday fragrance for a while now, but the fresh, dry, slightly citrus-y scent really comes into its own in summer. It's based around the ambroxan molecule, the synthetic substitute of rare ambergris, which gives the fragrance a warm musky heart to balance its green, vetiver base, its citrussy elderflower top notes and its dry finish. It's quite a masculine fragrance - there are no floral or powdery notes - and it's minimalist without being boring. I've always thought it smelt like drinking gin and tonic in a bookshop would. Which, if it were possible, would be the best thing ever.

Thanks for reading! x

No comments:

Post a Comment